Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Songwriting?

This one has a lot of fun videos for you.

So I'm taking this pretty sick songwriting class. Well it's like a study of songwriters, the importance of songwriting, and how to songwrite, but there is no actually songwriting happening in class. Let me share briefly with you why this songwriting class is "pretty sick":

1. I find that I'm gaining a new appreciation for the art of songwriting and the people who write songs, those who write their own and the ones who write for other people. For example, my professor asked us if any of us had ever heard of Claude Kelly and we all stared at him like deer in the headlights to which he responded: "Well, tell me if this rings a bell...So I put my hands up, they're playing my song and the butterflies fly away. Noddin' my head like yeah, movin' my hips like yeah." Not only did we realize how hilarious those lyrics are when just spoken, but also that each and every one of us loved Claude Kelly.



2. I think it has almost inspired me to try songwriting. What? Yeah, I know. Every artsy kid with an acoustic guitar or a keyboard "tries songwriting." But it really doesn't seem like something that you actually have to be great at right away. And according to the book my professor wrote (which is also one of the books for a class), I realized you kind of just have to want to be a songwriter and know two chords and you are one. How convenient for me. Also, I also learned that sometimes songs just come to you once you become fairly decent. Tom Petty wrote this little diddy in 3 minutes, legit.



3. My professor is wonderful. He's a songwriter and a music journalist and all this crazy stuff. He's really passionate about songwriting and has interviewed all kinds of interesting people and songwriters. Plus, he plays some of his stuff for us and he's good. :) The class flies by so quickly because he's so interesting to listen to. Plus, we have a slightly similar taste in music, which is cool, because I love the songs he shares in class. I'm currently learning one of them on the guitar.



This one was just hysterical:


And this is my professor's award-winning song (I can't help, but feel proud of him because I think he's just the nicest guy ever):


All in all, I'm super stoked I'm in this class. Maybe I'll be a songwriter? Sweet.

1 comment:

  1. If you want to give it a shot, just let me know. I'm always up for trying a collaboration.

    I think I'm just going to troll your blog and comment arbitrarily now, because it's much easier for me to keep up with what goes on in your head than for me to break my shyness and actually ask. Isn't that kind of silly?

    ReplyDelete